Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Old Country

It’s been over two years since I’ve been back to the US for a visit, and in that time I’ve made the most of my vacation days traveling all across Australia and even to China.  As much as I’d like to use all of my vacation days going somewhere new (I’ve yet to see Queensland and Southeast Asia is a quick flight from here…), I can’t deny that the time has come for me to venture back to the old country for a visit.

I can’t think of a moment when I’ve been homesick (other than when I’ve had some rancid Mexican food), but getting to spend some quality time with Della & Eric last month got me missing all of my friends and family back home.  I’ve missed out on some important milestones and events that it would have been nice to be around for – either to celebrate or help – like babies being born, couples breaking up, people getting new jobs, weddings (especially John’s which I was super sad that I missed when looking at all of the pictures online but the timing just was heinous for work), and of course, the launch of the Doritos taco shell at Taco Bell.

Just kidding!  I don’t eat at Taco Bell.  Mainly because I’m not poor.  Or that drunk.  Ever.

So, in a valiant attempt to make it up to everyone, I decided that a grand tour around North America was the way to go.  Trying to visit everyone is hard, especially when I have friends scattered about the country, but I’ve locked in visits to cities coast-to-coast and have nearly every day of my 25 days in North America all planned out so that I can maximize my visitation with everyone.

Did I also mention that I’m going to maximize my shopping?  Yeah.  It’s been well over two years since I’ve had a proper shopping expedition because clothes (and most other things) are just so damn expensive here.  I’ll be purchasing a whole new wardrobe at a third of the cost.  And the exchange rate just hit $1 AUD to $1.03 USD today so that takes care of that 3% credit card surcharge they tack on for the foreign currency transaction.  Woohoo!

New York.  Montreal.  Toronto.  Miami/Fort Lauderdale.  Houston.  Dallas/Fort Worth.  Seattle.  Los Angeles.

25 days.  12 airports.  8 cities.  7 states and provinces.  6 airlines.  2 countries.  1 really tired Phill.

And it is going to be FANTASTIC!

Phill’s North American Tour takes off Friday morning.  And I’ll do my best to blog while I’m over there (though really, most of you reading this will be seeing me in person anyway.)

Woohoooooooooo!


No comments:

Post a Comment