Saturday, January 30, 2010

Coffee?

For my second morning in Sydney, my new friends Cherisse and Mendelson took me out for brunch.  Here is what ensued:

Ridiculously hot gay Aussie waiter:  G'day! Can I start you all off with something to drink?
Me, confused American:  I'd like a coffee, please.
Ridiculously hot gay Aussie waiter:  What kind would you like?
Me, confused American:  Regular, please.
Ridiculously hot gay Aussie waiter:  ... No, what kind would you like?
Me, confused American:  ... Just a, you know, regular coffee...
Ridiculously hot gay Aussie waiter:  So, do you want a latte, flat white, long black, cappuccino... ?
Me, confused American:   ... Ummmm...
Ridiculously hot gay Aussie waiter:  ...
Me, confused American:  ...

Coffee culture is completely different here.  They don't have what we call coffee - except at Starbucks, and you have to order it as a "brewed coffee".  Nobody else serves brewed coffee.  A flat white is heavy on the espresso and light on the milk, with no froth.  A latte is similar to a latte in the US - espresso with more milk and some foam - but the lattes here are a bit frothier.  A long black is an Americano (only Starbucks lists the name "Americano" next to "Long Black"), and I assume a Cappuccino is the same as it is back in the States, but I've yet to actually try one.  There's also a severe shortage of flavoring syrups here.  No, you can't get a caramel latte, or almond latte, or hazelnut latte, or white chocolate mocha, or anything like that (except at Starbucks of course, but even they are pretty limited to a few basic flavors).  And I think Gloria Jean's has mochas, but nothing more fun than that.  I really hope Starbucks has their pumpkin spice lattes when winter hits in June.  I'm going to shit sideways if they don't.

More observations to follow.

 

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Phill! I hope Starbucks is involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first of many, many realizations that you are a stranger in a strange land.

    ReplyDelete